Do you have to love everything about your body in order to be happy? No. I don't even know if that's a legitimate possibility for most people. Instead, body neutrality is an excellent option for most folks - myself included!
Body neutrality is a way to accept and appreciate your body for what it is, without judgement or comparison. It is a way to focus on the things your body can do, rather than how it looks. I've got a few tips to kickstart your body neutral journey:
1. Instead of focusing on how your body looks, focus on what it can do. Think about all the amazing things your body is capable of, like running, dancing, swimming, or even just getting out of bed in the morning. Celebrate your body for its strength and abilities.
2. Avoid comparing yourself to others. It can be easy to compare yourself to others, especially when it comes to body image. But it’s important to remember that everyone is different and that comparison is not helpful. Instead, focus on your own journey and progress.
3. Practice self-care. Self-care is an important part of body neutrality. Take time to do things that make you feel good, like taking a hot bath, going for a walk, or reading a book.
4. Speak kindly to yourself. It’s easy to be critical of yourself, but it’s important to be kind and gentle with yourself. Speak to yourself the way you would speak to a friend.
5. Celebrate your body. Celebrate your body for all the amazing things it can do. Take time to appreciate your body and all its unique features.
By focusing on what your body can do, avoiding comparison, practicing self-care, speaking kindly to yourself, and celebrating your body, you can practice body neutrality and learn to accept yourself.